As I have mentioned in previous posts, my husband is from Mexico. He typically abhors any “Americanized” Mexican food. You know, the kind where you just throw some taco seasoning on it and call it Mexican. He had never even heard of a “chimichanga” until he came to the U.S. Sorry folks, you won’t find those in Mexico. No Taco Bells either.
To my surprise, however, he does like this slow cooker taco salad that I make! He will usually go back for seconds (and thirds…). If I put enough cheese on it, my kids actually like it too! On the rare occasion that I make something that both my kids and my husband like, it’s going on the monthly rotation for sure! This is one of those meals. And the best part of this recipe…it involves very little effort on my part! It’s a win all around.
HERE’S WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
· 1 lb. chicken breast
· 1 can of corn (drained)
· 1 can of black beans (drained)
· 1 pkt. taco seasoning
· ½ jar restaurant style salsa (this is a good one)
· Sour cream
· Shredded Lettuce
· Shredded cheese (Mexican blend, Cheddar, or Monterey Jack)
· Tortilla Chips (these are my favorite)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Sprinkle the packet of taco seasoning over the chicken. Then, add the can of corn, black beans and salsa. (My boys love white corn so that is what I typically buy. I also like to buy the can of pre-seasoned black beans because it adds a little more flavor. For the salsa, you can use store-bought or make your own. If you want to make your own, here is a great salsa recipe!
If you’re using homemade salsa, you’ll want to use about a cup.)
- Cook chicken on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Once chicken is fully cooked through, shred it between two forks.
- To serve, place shredded lettuce on plate and put chicken on top. (I usually buy pre-shredded iceberg lettuce in a bag because…I’m lazy. It’s worth it to me to just pay the extra few cents and not have to chop up a head of lettuce.)
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the chicken. (If your kids are like mine, you’ll want to completely cover their chicken with a mountain of cheese.)
- Put a dollop of sour cream on top, some tortilla chips on the side, and eat up! (I like my chips on the side so I can scoop some salad onto each chip. But you can certainly eat it however you want.
If you have any leftovers (you probably won’t), this chicken would also be great over rice. Here is my recipe for “Super Easy Mexican Rice.” You could also use it as topping for tostadas or for chicken tacos.
Don’t be afraid to change up the ingredients a little bit either. You could use pinto beans instead of black beans. You could use “Fiesta” corn to give it a little extra kick. There are hundreds of different salsas out there to choose from or make yourself. You could also add some chopped tomatoes, guacamole, fresh cilantro, or a squeeze of lime on top. The possibilities are endless!
Get a printable version of this recipe here.
For more great recipes and ideas, follow me on Pinterest!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means I may receive a commission if you purchase the item. I only recommend products I use and love.